I had 25 5-star albums this year. Here’s the list of those albums that, while excellent, fell just outside my top 15.
16. Harlem, Hippies – Loud summer-y garage rock that leans heavily on classic rock-and-roll songs.
17. Beach House, Teen Dream – Another solidly stellar Beach House album.
18. Carolina Chocolate Drops, Genuine Negro Jig – Their traditional bluegrass on the album is excellent, and when they take a small side step into other genres (like the cover of “Hit ‘Em Up Style”) it is breathtaking.
19. Preservation Hall Jazz Band, An Album to Benefit Preservation Hall & The Preservation Hall Music Outreach Program – The parade of guest stars is amazing, everything about this album is perfect for a long summer drive.
21. Aloe Blacc, Good Things – This is the newest to me album to make list. Since I got it two weeks ago, I can’t put it down.
22. Eli ‘Paperboy’ Reid & The True Loves, Come and Get It
23. Two Cow Garage, Sweet Saint Me – I’ll leave this album for Aggie to talk about, she’ll be able to say it better.
25. Lissie, Catching a Tiger – One heck of a slow burn.