J Roddy Walston & the Business, Slim’s, Raleigh NC 07/30/10, originally uploaded by Ash Crowe.
7. J. Roddy Walston & the Business, Slim’s, Raleigh, NC, 07/30/10 – As someone who was used to seeing J. Roddy at the Ottobar in Baltimore, before the set at Slim’s, I kept eyeing the stage speculatively not quite sure the whole band would even fit on Slim’s postage stamp sized stage. It was a tight fit and a packed crowd and a hot night. (Though, honestly there were so many people in Slim’s that it could have been 20 degrees outside and everyone would have gone home sweaty.) And the heat and the proximity just turned the dial on an already amazing band up one notch. photo set
8. The Casting Out supported by Jason Kutchma, Magician Michael Casey & Last Year’s Men, Devines, Durham, NC, 08/10/10 – I think this show might have been the most fun I’ve had shooting a show all year. There is no stage at Devines, putting the crowd and camera at eye level. Nathan Gray is such a dynamic lead singer. As you can see from the photo on this post at one point my camera was over his head as he laid on the cement and sang his heart out. Magic Mike & Jason Kutchma make any show better, and then after The Casting Out were done, Last Year’s Men set up and blew through a quick set as a night cap. photo set
9. The Butchies supported by Pink Flag, Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro, NC, 07/21/10 – I really don’t have words for how happy this show made me. I wasn’t expecting a Butchies reunion show and I didn’t think it’d be exactly what I needed to hear. But it happened, and it was right. Just a wonderfully fun night. Everyone in the band and in the crowd had ear to ear grins before the night was over. photo set
10. Two Cow Garage supported by Dave Hause, Kings Barcade, Raleigh, NC, 10/17/10 – Two Cow Garage were great. I’d been waiting a long time to see them and they didn’t disappoint. Dave Hause was magnificent. I’d been talking him up to many of the folks there to see Two Cow and he lived up to the bill and brought a little piece of my former mid-Atlantic home with him to Raleigh. photo set
11. Langhorne Slim, Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro, NC, 06/09/10 – There aren’t many bands that can take their whole band and pull then to the front of the stage, unplugged and hold a full and loud Cradle crowd in the moment they are creating. But Langhorne Slim & his band did it here. (And The National did a similarly amazing thing later in the year in Raleigh as well.) It was a moment so beautiful that I got goose bumps. Just stunning. photo set
12. Cedric Burnside & Lightnin’ Malcolm, Papa Mojo’s, Durham, NC, 05/21/10 – Sometimes a show is more than the sum of its parts. This one was exactly the right show at the moment I needed to hear it. Some days the right answer is a great driving blues show with a dance floor. photo set