Free Electric State celebrated a record release on Friday at Pinhook. As usual they brought their own lights, and those lights looked absolutely great on the new Pinhook stage.
Category Archives: free electric state
Free Electric State closed out Saturday night’s set at Pinhook.
It was lovely to hear them again.
They’ve got a new album recorded and it’ll be out at the end of April Custom Made Music. The LP will release on Record Store Day (4/21) the CD on 4/24. So if you didn’t already have a reason to hit up the record store on 4/21, now you do. It’ll be a good one.
If you know me or just see me at shows, you know I’m frequently wandering around, running between two shows, etc. I see alot of shows and the more shows I go to the harder it is for a full show bill to hold me from the first band to the last. These are the ones where I stood up front or was otherwise transfixed by the whole show. My 10 favorite shows of the year.
1. Joe Pug w/ Strand of Oaks, Local 506, 4/11 – It’s a very lucky thing that my favorite show of the year (and many others on this list) was also attended by the best taper in the area (Dan Schram) so I have this show on mp3 and can go back and listen again and again. Just a stunningly excellent show. So many of the shows on this list are special shows: album releases, first shows back, etc. The excellence of this show is even more amazing because it wasn’t a “special” show. It was another night on a long tour (for both bands). It’s the kind of show that makes me want to pack a bag and follow a tour around so I can see it every night. Photos here
2. Des Ark w/ Pygmy Lush, Bellafea, Nightlight, 3/10 – Des Ark’s CD is on my favorite albums of the year list so it is no surprise to see the local album release show here. Just a show with Des Ark full band likely would have put it on the list, but this was far more. The crowd was wonderful, Pygmy Lush’s set was great, and Bellafea was so fantastic to hear again. I love Mount Moriah, obviously (favorite album of the year, a Mount Moriah show is coming up on this list), but sometimes a Bellafea show is exactly what I need. It was the perfect kickstart to the night. Photos here
3. The Butchies w/ Pink Flag, Pinhook, 9/24 – Everything about this show. The weather was perfect for a huge celebratory show in the parking lot behind Pinhook, and that is exactly what this was. Both bands played fantastic sets to a great hometown crowd. Photos here
4.Mount Moriah w/ The Moaners & Filthybird, Cat’s Cradle, 4/15 – I feel like I’ve already said enough about how great Mount Moriah’s album is. The CD release show started with the three videos that are included with the album and ended with an all hands on-stage sing along of “Lament.” Start to finish, just a great night. Photos here
5. Bombadil w/ The Future Kings of Nowhere, JKutchma and the 5/5ths, Cat’s Cradle, 11/12 – Three bands I love on the same bill, a CD release show for Bombadil. Before even going to this show, I knew it’d end up on this list. So, for me, it had alot to live up to. And it more than did so. Photos here
6. Future Kings of Nowhere w/ Hammer No More the Fingers & The Wigg Report, Motorco, 5/7 – Photos here
7. Red Collar w/ American Aquarium, Casbah, 5/28 – Photos here
8. The Moaners w/ All Girl Boys Choir, Cave, 7/29 – Photos here
9. Pinhook’s 3-year anniversary 3-night concert (Men w/ Tayisha Busey, Crystal Antlers w/ Old Bricks, Free Electric State, Javelin w/ Organos), 11/3-11/5 – Photos here
10. Shirlette and the Dynamite Brothers, Duke Gardens, 6/29 – Photos here
On of my favorite things about living here is that things that seem uncommon elsewhere in the country seem common here. Or at least can seem common if you chose correctly.
22 of the 45 bands I shot this month had at least one lady in the band.
It matters to me personally, and it matters overall.
Tonight at Motorco there is a showing of Miss Representation. Highly, highly recommended for people who already understand why this matters, for people who aren’t sold yet, for people – full stop. The movie is free & starts at 7.
Birds & Arrows, Local Band Local Beer, Tir Na Nog, Raleigh NC, 07/21/11, originally uploaded by Ash Crowe.
Great night at LBLB at Tir Na Nog last night with Birds & Arrows, Free Electric State & Gray Young.
Full photo set here