Most beautiful John Prine cover I’ve heard live.
Category Archives: cat’s cradle
All smiles last night at Cat’s Cradle.
Gorgeous, happy, amazing set by Josh Ritter last night. He grinned from ear to ear throughout the set, and so did the crowd.
David Wax Museum opened and it was really fun to see them play to the big crowd at the Cradle after seeing them a few months ago at Local 506.
Full photo set here
The Gaslight Anthem, Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro NC, 07/19/12, originally uploaded by Ash Crowe.
The old songs sounded fantastic live
The new songs have grown on me after hearing them live
Add in a strong opening set by the always get Dave Hause and it was all together a lovely night.
Full photo set here
Lucero played a 2 hour 10 minute set on a Wednesday in Chapel Hill. There are only a few bands I’d stay up that late for on a weeknight. It was worth the anger at the alarm clock and the cup of coffee this morning.
Full photo set here
Midtown Dickens, Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro NC, 04/07/12, originally uploaded by Ash Crowe.
Beautiful night at the Cradle on Saturday night. Midtown Dickens’ new CD is excellent, one of my favorite of the year, and it was brilliant to see the album performed in its entirety at the CD release.
If you know me or just see me at shows, you know I’m frequently wandering around, running between two shows, etc. I see alot of shows and the more shows I go to the harder it is for a full show bill to hold me from the first band to the last. These are the ones where I stood up front or was otherwise transfixed by the whole show. My 10 favorite shows of the year.
1. Joe Pug w/ Strand of Oaks, Local 506, 4/11 – It’s a very lucky thing that my favorite show of the year (and many others on this list) was also attended by the best taper in the area (Dan Schram) so I have this show on mp3 and can go back and listen again and again. Just a stunningly excellent show. So many of the shows on this list are special shows: album releases, first shows back, etc. The excellence of this show is even more amazing because it wasn’t a “special” show. It was another night on a long tour (for both bands). It’s the kind of show that makes me want to pack a bag and follow a tour around so I can see it every night. Photos here
2. Des Ark w/ Pygmy Lush, Bellafea, Nightlight, 3/10 – Des Ark’s CD is on my favorite albums of the year list so it is no surprise to see the local album release show here. Just a show with Des Ark full band likely would have put it on the list, but this was far more. The crowd was wonderful, Pygmy Lush’s set was great, and Bellafea was so fantastic to hear again. I love Mount Moriah, obviously (favorite album of the year, a Mount Moriah show is coming up on this list), but sometimes a Bellafea show is exactly what I need. It was the perfect kickstart to the night. Photos here
3. The Butchies w/ Pink Flag, Pinhook, 9/24 – Everything about this show. The weather was perfect for a huge celebratory show in the parking lot behind Pinhook, and that is exactly what this was. Both bands played fantastic sets to a great hometown crowd. Photos here
4.Mount Moriah w/ The Moaners & Filthybird, Cat’s Cradle, 4/15 – I feel like I’ve already said enough about how great Mount Moriah’s album is. The CD release show started with the three videos that are included with the album and ended with an all hands on-stage sing along of “Lament.” Start to finish, just a great night. Photos here
5. Bombadil w/ The Future Kings of Nowhere, JKutchma and the 5/5ths, Cat’s Cradle, 11/12 – Three bands I love on the same bill, a CD release show for Bombadil. Before even going to this show, I knew it’d end up on this list. So, for me, it had alot to live up to. And it more than did so. Photos here
6. Future Kings of Nowhere w/ Hammer No More the Fingers & The Wigg Report, Motorco, 5/7 – Photos here
7. Red Collar w/ American Aquarium, Casbah, 5/28 – Photos here
8. The Moaners w/ All Girl Boys Choir, Cave, 7/29 – Photos here
9. Pinhook’s 3-year anniversary 3-night concert (Men w/ Tayisha Busey, Crystal Antlers w/ Old Bricks, Free Electric State, Javelin w/ Organos), 11/3-11/5 – Photos here
10. Shirlette and the Dynamite Brothers, Duke Gardens, 6/29 – Photos here
This isn’t about my most techically perfect photos, or the most sale-able, or the most viewed. Those lists would all look very different. These are my favorite concert photos I took this year. It’s an interesting question for me because I shot more this year for other people or with the intent to cover a show in a more traditional press photo sense. But those photos aren’t here.
If I had to pick 20 photos to remember my year in concerts by, it would be these 20.